Saturday, July 30, 2011

Ft. Worth

Thursday, July 28, 2011.
We headed to Ft. Worth to see the specialist for a second opinion. Craig's mom was meeting us there for extra support and to be an extra set of ears for us. I halfway didn't want to go. I wasn't convinced we'd hear anything new and I wasn't sure I could handle hearing a repeat of what we heard on Monday. We had many friends praying for a miracle. Although I fully believe God can do ANYTHING including heal my baby boy, I didn't want to set myself up to be crushed again.

After we met Merri Lynn for lunch, we set off for the appointment. I was so nervous. I'm not sure why, but my stomach was a complete mess. Everyone in the office was very nice. We finished paperwork and settled into a room. The ultrasound began a lot like the first one, but this time, everyone was a little more prepared. Dr. Tabor had read the first ultrasound report and we were prepared to hear the worst this time. As the image came on the screen, I waited for the words I would not hear, "He looks pretty normal to me." This time, Dr. Tabor pointed out the face, hands, feet, legs, etc. He also spent a good amount of time explaining the abnormalities he was seeing. The machine he was using gave us a clearer picture. He explained the same abnormalities in the brain as had been discovered on Monday. He also spent a long time examining the heart. He could see much more details with the heart today. As he examined, he explained that although the heart was strong and holding a typical heart rate, the anatomy was not right. The left side of the heart was significantly smaller than the right. Upon further examination, he discovered that both the arteries were attached to the right instead of one being on the left and one on the right. My understanding is that this meant that the left side of the heart was not being used correctly and the blood was not being filtered correctly. Basically, our little guy had some major problems. Another problem Dr. Tabor discovered was with Cade's feet and hands. His hands were clinched and curled in and he had a 'club foot'.

After a lengthy and detailed sonogram, Dr. Tabor began to explain his findings and what it meant for Cade. He said that if we were dealing with a single issue, there would be a possibility of surgery. However, we were now talking about significant issues in more than one organ. The combination of these findings lead him to suspect a chromosomal disorder such as Trisomy 18. In order to test for a chromosomal or genetic condition, an amniocentesis was recommended. We were introduced to a genetics counselor, Melanie, who was very sweet, reassuring, and informative. She answered our questions and explained procedures in a clear and knowledgable way. We agreed to do the amnio in order to gain more information about Cade and what we can expect. The results of this testing will not change anything we have chosen to do. We will continue to carry and love Cade and be the best parents we know how to be for as much time as the Lord allows.

I am so pleased we were recommended to see Dr. Tabor and his staff. We gained so much information. And this time, we were able to hear it and process it. The best part of the day was that we were able to see our little guy again. Dr. Tabor even printed some beautiful 3D pictures for us.

Thank you Lord for this beautiful life you have made and are still making. We know each of our children belongs to You. You just loan them to us for a short time. Thank you for each and everyday we get to spend with these precious children of Yours.

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in you book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:13-16

No comments: