Monday, October 27, 2008

Hoarse

We've been having some sleeping 'issues' around here lately. The past few months seem to have gotten worse. We've tried a consistent bedtime routine. We have a bath, change into our pajamas, and eat. By the time we've done all that, she is out cold. So I wrap her up in her swaddler and put her in bed. The next 2 or more hours, she wakes up 5-6 times! What is the deal?!

Of course, Craig and I aren't very consistent. Sometimes, we go in there quickly and try to put her back to sleep before she gets too awake, and sometimes we let her cry for a while but never until she puts herself back to sleep. Sometimes we pick her up and sometimes we just pat on her and leave her in her bed.

We have been worn out to say the least. And very confused about what we needed to do. Well, guess who we ran into at church on Sunday. None other than our wonderful pediatrician. He was so gracious and answered our questions and calmed our concerns on the spot. No, call my office and make an appointment. Anyway, he told us the best thing to do was just put her down groggy and let her learn to fall asleep without Momma or Daddy. That means she has to cry. He really stressed how important this was, not to go back in, and to turn off our monitors.

Yikes!! So we did it. Last night was our first time to have a plan we both agreed on and stuck with it. We did our nighttime routine: bath, lotion, pajamas, eat, wrap up, prayers and night-night. We put her down groggy, almost asleep but still awake, and kissed her good night. She didn't make a peep for about 5-6 minutes. Then she started to cry. She cried for about 30 or 35 minutes. About 40 minutes after we put her down, she was asleep. Whew, that wasn't too bad.

So, Craig and I went to bed. Still with no monitor sound on. (I could still see her if I needed to, but no sound was on.) She woke up a few times before 3:00. I don't remember the times because I was half asleep. At 3:15, she had made it long enough that it was time to go feed her.

When I went in to pick her up, she had completely pulled her arms out of her swaddler and her hands were like ice. She had pulled a blanket over her face and pulled the bumper pad down. Then I heard her voice. It nearly broke my heart. She was hoarse! I picked her up. We cuddled and she nursed. She got all warm and toasty and full again. Then I wrapped her back up and put her back in bed. It was so hard not to take her to bed with me and snuggle with here and keep her warm. But goodness, I don't want another bad habit to break. She slept in her crib until 7:15 this morning.

She does not seem to be traumatized. She has played and smiled and cooed just like her normal self. Just with a little hoarse voice.

Sorry sweet girl. We are doing what we think is best for you. We love you so much.

Lord, give us strength and wisdom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, good job momma. we're big believers in crying-it-out. and we have two great sleepers to prove that it works!

hang in there. i know it's tough. but you're right, she's got to learn to get to sleep on her own. and it's much easier to get her in that habit now than it will be later.

chrys

Minda Ciardi said...

I feel your pain...11 months later, we still had one waking up 4-6 times a night. I tried EVERYTHING! Even the groggy bit the pedi gave us too. But then I finally decided to get the book written by Dr. Ferber. Praise God for Dr. Ferber! I had a tough time letting Lilly cry and cry and cry...but this is all about understanding sleep behaviors, learning how to fall asleep on their own, and going in to comfort them in specific intervals while "sleep training". Now we do our bedtime routine, lay her in her bed, and she usually immediately goes to sleep on her own...and can do the same during the night. If you want to borrow the book, just let me know!